The Submissions Deadline was January 22nd.
CALL TO WOMEN ARTISTS of Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands!
First Nations, Old Stock, Immigrants old and new,
working in any and all art traditions:
“Women Hold up Half the Sky”
An exhibition in celebration of International Women’s Day, 8 March, 2016
February 25 – March 13, 2016
Deadline for Submission: Friday, January 22, 2016
Theme: Women Actively Engaging with the World through Their Art / Art as an Active Agent Promoting Positive Change
EXHIBITION DATES: February 25 – March 13, 2016
The CACGV Gallery at the Bay Centre (1150 Douglas Street, third level)
(scroll to the bottom of the page to submit images and information)
Questions to think about when selecting your images:
* Which of your art works most concretely express your concern with, and hope for, a specific
issue in the world?
* Which of your art works would you offer as an active agent, a resonating call to action / prayer/ blessing, to further the positive presence and/or resolution of that issue?
* Can your art (in whatever media, style, genre) be accompanied by a very short statement you
write, about what & how you see them contributing to something, like healing the world;
brightening it; making more voices and histories heard / visible; or…and so on?
Women who are Artists / Artists who are Women, living on these islands in South-West Canada:
Wherever you were born, wherever you came from when you landed here, whatever your mode
of visual expression, we invite you to share your art with our community, in any tradition of art
making you draw on. Come, celebrate the strength, creativity and commitment to positive
change, on this day when we celebrate our global sisterhood and our shared humane / human
rights struggle for the betterment of our world, for all, everywhere.
This is a lightly juried show open to women artists living on Vancouver Island and the Gulf
Islands (full-time and part-time residents). This show is open to women artists of all levels, and artists do not need to be CACGV membership to enter. The cost is $5 per person for accepted for participation in the exhibition
(to be collected after acceptance). The exhibition will take place in downtown Victoria, at the Bay Centre CACGV Gallery, on
the third level next to Club Monaco, from February 25 – March 13, 2016.
The submission deadline is Friday, January 22 at 4:30pm. Accepted artists will be notified by the week of January 25-29. Drop-off of artworks will take place Sunday, February 14 and Monday, February 15 at the Bay Centre. Pay Parking is available on street and in the Bay Centre parkade on View Street.
Show Location: The Bay Centre (1150 Douglas Street, third level)
Submission Guidelines: All artwork is to be submitted by email as jpg digital images for adjudication through our online application. Artists will be charged a 20% commission on any art sales (this commission includes all transaction fees).
- Art of all media will be accepted, both 2-D and 3-D
- Up to 8 pieces per artist will be accepted for adjudication (diptychs and triptychs are considered one piece)
- If you are entering heavy work you must be available to provide assistance in moving it in and out of the venue (1 regular size dolly is provided)
- If any accepted work is in violation of the above guidelines, the CACGV retains the right to remove it from the show
Photo Quality of Images of Art Work Submitted:
- Use plain or graded backgrounds
- Must be clearly focused, well-lit and properly exposed
- Artists may be asked to submit new pictures if images are of poor quality
- All images MUST give as close a representation of the work as possible in terms of colour and detail
- Artwork that does not conform to submission image quality may be refused
Number of Images:
- Up to two images for each 2-D or photographic submission
- Up to three images for each 3-D submission
- Maximum 4MB
- In jpg format
INFORMATION TO INCLUDE WITH SUBMISSION
Contact Information: all contact information must be up to date and accurate (artist’s name, telephone number and email).
Medium and Substrate: a brief explanation of the primary artistic materials (i.e. oil, acrylic, watercolour, etc.) and the substrate or base materials, if any (i.e. canvas, steel, wood panel, rice paper, silk, etc).
Dimensions: measurements of the artwork in inches (height by width), in two or three dimensions, as appropriate.
Price: The retail (sale) price of the artwork including all applicable taxes. You are not required to have your piece for sale, the label can be marked as Not For Sale. Please go ahead and submit your piece with a price of $0.
Optional description: Artists may give an optional 25 word description of their artwork to give jurors insight into the artistic process and techniques used.
Note: If you do include such a description, we reserve the right to print this and place it in a folder with all artists’ descriptions of their work.
Artist Contracts: Artists accepted for the show will be contacted within ten days of the deadline and offered contracts. Because the CACGV is a community based institution with very limited funding, insurance and transport of art work is the responsibility of the artists.
~ * PLEASE SHARE THIS CALL TO ARTISTS TO ARTISTS YOU KNOW ON VANCOUVER ISLAND & THE GULF ISLANDS! * ~
n.b. We will only accept images up to 1000 pixels on the largest dimension and maximum 4 mb file size. If you do not have the software to resize your images, you can find an image resizer online.