This is a juried show open to artist’s resident (including part-time residents) in Greater Victoria (including Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Sidney and the Westshore). This is our third year of an annual juried fine arts show which we will be holding to a high standard of quality for works submitted. This show is open to artists of all levels, does not require CACGV membership to enter and adjudication of works is free to all applicants. There are no hanging fees for CACGV members and non-members will have a hanging fee of $25/piece accepted. All entries must be original creations not shown in another juried fine art show in the Greater Victoria area. There will be cash prizes awarded for exceptional works in each category as well as a People's Choice Award (2D, 3D, Fine Craft, Photography).
Show Location: The Atrium Building (800 Yates Street)
EXTENDED! Submission Deadline: Friday, April 21, 2017 - 4:30pm
Donor and artist preview: Thursday, May 18
Opening Reception: Friday, May 19
Show dates: Saturday, May 20 - Thursday, May 25, 2017
All artwork is to be submitted for adjudication through our online application. Artists will be charged a 25% commission on art sales which includes all transaction fees.
2D - all media on board, canvas or paper excluding reproductions or giclees (see below). All works must be professionally presented.
3D – three-dimensional or sculptural work of any material(s).
Fine Craft - unique hand-crafted art objects including jewellery, glass works, fibre arts, metalwork, up-cycle crafters, multi-media, woodcraft and ceramics, etc.
Photography - both traditional and digital methods.
PLEASE NOTE: It is up to the artist's discretion whether they deem their work craft or 3D. Each individual work may only be submitted to one category.
- Up to 3 pieces per artist will be accepted for adjudication (diptychs and triptychs are considered one piece, but must be within maximum size dimensions for single entry)
- Maximum size for 2-D work is 36”h x 36”w (up to 9 square feet) and for 3-D up to 8’ in height. If you are entering heavy work you must be available to provide assistance in moving it in and out of the venue
- Artwork must be original work of the artist not previously shown in a juried fine arts show in Greater Victoria (Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Sidney and the Westshore)
- All entries must be available for sale at a minimum price of $300
- Photography both traditional and digital methods will be accepted. Please include information on specific photographic and development techniques and whether the image was digitally manipulated.
- Digital and photographic prints, engravings, lithographs and etchings are accepted for adjudication in limited editions of not more than 15. All such work must be identified with the total number of editions of the piece available plus the method of producing the work. None of the editions should have been sold prior to the show.
- Computer generated artwork must be entirely original to the artist
- Reproductions, giclees and copies will not be accepted
- If any work is in violation of the above guidelines or contravenes copyright laws, the VAC retains the right to remove it from the show
- Use plain or graded backgrounds
- Must be clearly focused, well-lit and properly exposed
- Artists may be asked to submit new pictures if images are of poor quality
- All images MUST give as close a representation of the work as possible in terms of colour and detail
- Artwork that does not conform to submission image quality may be refused
Number of Images:
- Up to two images for each 2-D or photographic submission
- Up to three images for each 3-D submission
- Up to three images for each Craft submission
- Maximum 4MB
- In jpg format
INFORMATION TO INCLUDE WITH SUBMISSION
Contact Information: all contact information must be up to date and accurate. The artist’s name, telephone number and email will appear in the show catalogue.
Category: media categories include: 2-D, 3-D, Fine Craft and photography (refer to media categories above). Artwork may be re-categorized prior to adjudication.
Medium and Substrate: a brief explanation of the primary artistic materials (i.e. oil, acrylic, watercolour, etc.) and the substrate or base materials, if any (i.e. canvas, steel, wood panel, rice paper, silk, etc).
Dimensions: measurements of the artwork in inches (height by width), in two or three dimensions, as appropriate.
Price: The retail (sale) price of the artwork at the Victoria Fine Art Show with a minimum of $300. All artwork submitted must be available for sale. Artists are asked to consider the following when setting their price:
- Cost of materials
- Framing or other professional presentation costs
- Submission and exhibition fees
- 25% Commission rate
Optional description: Artists may give an optional 25 word description of their artwork to give jurors insight into the artistic process and techniques used. This information will appear with the artwork during exhibition.
n.b. We will only accept images up to 1000 pixels on the largest dimension and maximum 4 mb file size. If you do not have the software to resize your images, you can find an image resizer online.